Monday, May 18, 2009

Rights of Passage

Ella finally did it. She pooped in the potty this morning, thereby earning the right to wear her Elmo underwear, like a big girl. We couldn't have been more proud of this milestone in our little girl's life; you'd have thought she had graduated at the top of her class and gotten a full scholarship to Yale. She was proud, too, and ate up the attention (and the potty cookies) with the biggest smile I have ever seen on a toddler. The corners of her mouth actually touched her ears for a second or two, and I think I counted sixty-one teeth, which is amazing.

Of course the wife is convinced that this is the beginning of a new era for Ella. She's planning a pull-up burning ceremony to mark this right of passage. We'll call it a Pot-Mitzvah, for lack of a better word, and we'll all sing songs from "Go Potty, Go" and recite lengthy passages from "Potty Time With Elmo." Then we'll roast marshmallows over the flaming pull-ups and pray that the fumes aren't too very toxic.

I myself am a little more skeptical, and can't help but wonder whether this was just a happy accident. One poop, for me, does not make a toddler potty trained. Perhaps a re-poop, or even a three-poop would put my mind at ease and allow me to dream of cutting the diaper bill in half. Still, I must tell you that she managed to keep her big girl underwear clean and dry until lunchtime, which is no small feat in itself. And, we were out in public.

Another thing we established today is Ella's fear of public restrooms. She does not like to sit upon a public toilet, and turns into a writhing, slithering toddler snake when placed within a three foot radius of one. She probably would have run away had her pants not been around her ankles. I was thankful that the restroom was empty, because we did have a small amount of success going potty in the sink. Just a number one, mind you, and I did rinse thoroughly afterward. Isn't daddy resourceful?

So, hat's off to the big girl in the Elmo underwear. She's another step closer to breaking my heart. Each of these milestones reminds me that she will not always be my little girl, and that someday, I will have to let her go. But, until then, we will celebrate each day together and make memories that will last a lifetime. Hopefully, they will be less smelly memories from here on out.

1 comment:

Mo Mo said...

Blaine, I hope you are printing these and saving them for the kids to enjoy when they are older. They are priceless.